Wednesday, May 26, 2010

3 Pepper Potato Salad

This recipe came from a newspaper out in L.A. back in the late 80's. I fell in love with it's simplicity as well as it's flavor.
I don't know about you, but I get a little skeeved out by all the mayo that goes into summer fare, such as potato salad, macaroni salad and coleslaw. I love that this has olive oil instead. It's still fat, but I feel some relief from the mayo! This is a fantastic dish to take to a cookout or potluck. Everyone loves it!
The recipe calls for 3 different color bell peppers, but I use whatever combination I have. Pictured above, I only had red and yellow. Here is the recipe as I had it written on a scrap of paper...

1.5 lbs. medium potatoes, thinly sliced. (I quarter them lengthwise, and then slice about 1/4" thick)
1 each- red, yellow, green bell pepper--cut in 1/4 inch strips
1/2 cup olive oil- (I use less)
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt, and pepper to taste
3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar

Method:
Boil potatoes until crisp tender(10 min) Drain and return to pot
Add peppers, garlic, oil, oregano and salt and pepper.
Cook over medium heat until peppers soften. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar. Adjust seasoning.


I fiddle with this recipe every time I make it, and I rarely measure anything, so try it like this and play with it until it comes out the way you like it. I wish I could find the newspaper clipping, because this was from memory.
Try it and let me know how you like it!

2 comments:

  1. I have a ton of green peppers in my kitchen. Have never used yellow or red. Is there a significant taste difference? I think I'll try this recipe as written, just in case =) Grassy-ass for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes HB, red and yellow and/or orange peppers are much sweeter! And then of course they add some pretty color too!

    ReplyDelete