Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Orange Food and Fall Flavors...




I haven't posted anything lately because I noticed I wasn't eating anything other than soups and stews and mostly orange foods. Carrot soup, chicken and butternut stew, cabbage with yams. Lentil soup that looked orange, and finally, pumpkin muffins. In addition, most everything is seasoned with fall flavors like cumin, curry, cinnamon, and smoked paprika.  I've been eating cantaloupes, and about four pounds of oranges per week. Is my body trying to tell me something? Is it screaming out for beta-carotene? I even put carrots and an orange bell pepper in my last batch of turkey chili, people!

 I don't know if readers are interested in hearing about my spinach, zucchini, mushroom and egg white omelets, or my low fat turkey meatloaf.  Maybe they are. Maybe food doesn't have to be rich and exotic to get attention. Not like people.....;)

I've been working solely from home all winter so I am home every day. I haven't been going to the gym or getting enough exercise this winter, so I thought the least I could do is make light and healthy meals for myself and my son. Actually this is the way I prefer to eat, but apparently it's the whole portion control  aspect I need to get a grasp of.
I eat when I'm bored, I eat when I'm pissed, stressed, sad, happy, lonely...I guess there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.
It's when I have company that I make all the food I think I should be writing about. The food I think people want to read about. The homemade pizzas, pastas, scones and pies...chicken paprikas.
 But maybe you want to know how I make my brown rice delicious and not bland, or how to whip up something out of the pantry in no time at all.
I am open to suggestions from everyone, if there is something in particular you are in the mood for. It will inspire me to find a recipe or create my own version of something. All you need to do is ask.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of your lentils...so how 'bout it? And I think anything you're feeling, we'll feel too...so just go for it. It's not just to food, it's the way you write about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was having the worst time finding inexpensive, healthy foods. Then I discovered brown rice (filling, cheap and versatile) and I absolutely HATE it! Eating it is like punishment! So... "The Cheapest Ways to Eat Healthy GOOD Food" would be mag-friggin-nificent! ;)

    ReplyDelete